The main benefit of the design is that the ventilator consists totally out of easy to manufacture and widely available parts. Therefore large scale production can be set up easily and rapidly anywhere from the US to India.
The machine is not only low cost, it is also designed to make both assembly and maintenance straightforward. The intended maintenance intervals are higher than two weeks, which is currently being validated with endurance tests. Because of the simple working mechanism, operating the ventilator can be done by unskilled personnel.
Even with its simple working mechanism, the ventilator provides adjustable pressure, volume and breathing rate for every patient and the possibility to connect a built-in humidifier.
Furthermore, the design of the ventilator is based on the East-Radcliffe ventilator, a mechanical ventilator developed in the sixties and extensively used during the last century. Compared to other projects trying to invent a new kind of ventilator, we encounter lower development risks as our design is based on a ventilator that already proved to be successful.
There are some limitations that the simple mechanical working principle encounters. Currently the system is designed for mandatory ventilation, the system cannot be used for weaning. This means that the patient must be sedated when connected to the ventilator. Furthermore the I:E ratio is fixed on 1:2, other breathing ratios cannot be set.
- Plateau Pressure regulated by moving/adding/removing weights: up to 30 cm H2O. In an exceptional case, up to 70 cm H20 is possible by adding more weight.
- Nearly constant pressure achieved by weighted bellow flow generation.
- PEEP pressure mechanically adjustable: 5 cm H2O to 25 cm H2O.
- Safety valve in inspiratory 70 mbar.
- Tidal Volume: results from lung compliance, pressure setting and breathing rate.
- Mechanical valve control, fixed I:E ratio: 1:2 (expiration longer than inspiration).
- Breaths per minute: adjustable between 10 and 40 breaths per minute.
- Only mandatory/forced ventilation possible.
- Humidifier and heater optional second system: controlled to 35-37°C inflow air and high (90%+ Rel Humidity).
- Low battery.
- Plateau pressure (too high/low); adjustable limits.
- PEEP (too high/low); adjustable limits.
- Tidal volume (too high/low); adjustable limits.
- Minute volume; adjustable limits
- Oxygen fraction (Too high/low); adjustable limits.
- Sensor failure
- Numeric display of current achieved PEEP.
- Plateau Pressure.
- VT and Breathing rate(BPM).
- Temperature of inspired air.
- Humidity of inspired air.
- Battery full/low.
- Realtime plots possible with connected laptop (USB).
- Backup battery for at least 2 hrs of operation (no humidification/heating possible during that time).
- Wall connection: CEE 7/4 230VAC
- Internal operating voltage: 12V -24V
- 22mm airway connections according to ISO 5356-1.
- NIST connections for oxygen
- Sturdy casing; disassembly/servicing possible; cleaning possible.
- Sterilization of most breath delivering components possible.
- User Manuals will be available.